Download 25.5 Kb.
Example Thesis Statements for a Character Analysis Essay
The thesis sentence is a clear, concise statement of the position you will defend in your paper. The thesis sentence should argue a position, not summarize information.
• make sure your thesis reflects the full scope of your argument.
• avoid using a thesis that is too broad to be defended in the your paper or too
narrow to be a full response to the assignment.
• argue as conceptually rich a position as you can support. Ask yourself How?
and Why? questions to deepen your thesis.
• make sure your reader can easily identify your thesis sentence.
• do not just reword the teacher’s question; claim your own position.
1. Charley, the 15-year old protagonist of Soldier's Heart, is on the surface a good-natured yet naive boy who joins the Army for all the wrong reasons.
2. Mrs. Weatherall’s characteristics of being both stubborn and lonely cause the major conflicts within the story, and these qualities are shown to be true through what she and other's say in the story, and by her inner thoughts given throughout the story. (From the short story “The Jilting of Granny Weatherall”)
3. In the play A Doll House, Dr. Rank's round characteristics provides deep insight upon the truth of life and society and his character’s purpose is to break down the barrier between appearance and reality.
Coday, Denise. “The Practices of Dr. Rank.” The RSCC Online Writing Lab. 2000. Web.
1 Feb. 2010.